Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Mekala and Riem Esau



Mekala and Riem Esau

            Most Cambodians know the traditional stories of our country because, when they were children, they listened to grown-ups, at home and at school, telling the familiar and well-loved tales. I know many stories but I didn’t learn a single one of them by listening to story-tellers. I learnt them by dancing. For half my life I was a member of the Royal Cambodian Ballet. I learnt to dance the stories of our culture and, through the dance, to pass ten on to others.
            When I was seven years old, my aunt, who was a dancer of the Royal Ballet in Phnom Penh, visited our family in Siem Riep province. She told us that the Ballet was looking for girls to train as dancers and asked if she could take me back with her to the capital. Fortunately for me my parents agreed. I spent the next year at the Royal Palace studying the classical dance of Cambodia.
            There were ten of us recruits in the class, all from Siem Riep province. I was one of the youngest and the oldest would have been about fifteen. I loved my lessons. We did no normal school work at all; our entire day was taken up with dancing. We’d start early in the morning with gymnastics to warm us up and then we’d set about learning some of the one hundred and sixty basic movements of the dance, going through the steps and gestures again and again until we were perfect. After we’d mastered the first one hundred movements we were allowed to learn some of the less important roles for the dance dramas. It took us a whole year, working up to six hours each day, to master the basics.
            When we graduated we were told that Prince Sihanouk wanted to start a branch of the Royal Ballet in Siem Riep at the Angkor Wat, the ancient and famous city of temples. The new ballet company would dance there for tourists and other visitors to Cambodia. The ten of us and two teachers from Phnom Penh would recruit another twenty girls from Siem Riep and teach them. We would be the new company
            After I left for Phnom Penh with my aunt I never lived at home again. At Angkor Wat the whole ballet company lived and worked together in a hotel. One a month I rode a bicycle the seven kilometers to my village to see my parents and brothers and sisters, but to tell the truth, after a while I felt a bit awkward with my family. I had such bright, lively company all day at Angkor Wat that the ballet group than I did at home.
            Until I was twelve or thirteen I went to school in the nearby town of Muk Neak and fitted in dancing practice before and after school. His meant that I could play only minor roles in the dances. Our company had thirty dancers but only fifteen would dance at a performance. In this way we could take it in turns to play different roles and there was always a replacement available if someone was sick. In the classical dance of Cambodia, of course, all the dancers are female and we have to learn to play and dace the roles of men, giants and monkeys, as well as the roles of women and girls.
            After I left school I danced full-time. We’d begin at six o’clock in the morning and for one hour we’d practice only the movements of the hands and legs. Then, after a light breakfast, we’d go through the dance until twelve o’clock. On four nights a week we gave a public performance which lased an hour from nine to ten. On those nights we started to dress for the performance at three o’clock. It took us six hours to dress because each time we performed we had to be sewn into our costumes. They were so tight we couldn’t eat a thing and only take a few sips of drink. After we’d danced for an hour, it took at least another hour to get out of our costumes again. We had our second meal for the day then, between eleven and twelve at night. You know, it’s funny, but when we were sewn into our costumes we never felt hungry or thirsty. As soon as we’d undressed though we were absolutely starving and couldn’t wait to eat. Looking back now, I don’t think it was healthy to have such tight costumes and eat at strange hours. A lot of girls suffered from stomach aches, including me. I haven’t had them since I stopped dancing.
            We always danced at night on a big carpet in a floodlit courtyard of the Angkor Wat. The temple walls had beautiful carvings of dancers from long ago and all of us in the ballet wanted to prove that we could kook just as graceful as those performers frozen in the stone. I lived just to dance. While you were dancing you were in another world, you were someone else for the moment. I became the character I was dancing. If I was a woman I was gentle and graceful. If I was a man I felt powerful and strong.
            In our group our ages varied from eight years old to twenty-two. Everyone knew several. Roles but a star dancer had to know every single one. In the end, I was a star, and I would like to tell you the story of one of the dances I loved best – Mekala and Riem Esau. To tell the story only takes a few minutes, but to dance it takes half an hour. A story that is spoken leaves something to the listener’s imagination. But in the dance you try to show the watcher everything that happened – how the characters looked, how they felt. There’s more detail in a dance. I wish I had my friends here so we could perform it for you.
            Riem Esau was a young giant and Mekala was a beautiful girl. Both of them went to study with a famous magician. Their teacher promised that if they completed their studies successfully he would give them two very special objects – an axe of unusual wood and metal and a crystal ball. Both objects had great magical qualities but the crystal ball was the more powerful of the two.
            Both the boy and the girl studied hard and were outstanding students. When they had learned all they could their delighted teacher called hem to him and said, ‘You have both become fine magicians and I am going to reward you as I promised. I am going to give the axe to Riem Esau, are big and strong, so the axe, a symbol of strength, suits you well, while you, Mekala. I have two reasons for making this choice. The first one is that you, Riem Esau, are
Big and strong, so the axe, a symbol of strength, suits you well, while you, Mekala, are a pure and beautiful girl and the clear, bright ball, a symbol of light, suits you. Secondly, you well, while you, Mekala, are a pure and beautiful girl and the clear, bright ball, a symbol of light, suit you. Secondly, you, Riem Esau, are very, very powerful so the axe will be enough for you. But you, Mekala, are not as strong as Riem Esau so you will need the extra power the crystal ball will give you. Now, take my gifts and return to your homes.’
            Riem Esau felt very unhappy with the magician’s decision. Why should Mekala, already so beautiful, have the more beautiful object? And why should she, whose magic was not as strong as his, be given extra power so that she could me his equal? Riem Esau was jealous and resentful. He decided that, if the opportunity arose, he would steal the ball from Mekala and leave her his axe in its place.
            After the two students left the magician to return to their homes, Riem Esau tried to persuade Mekala to give the ball to him. She refused. When he tried to take it from her she ran into the forest to hide. When he found her there she flew o the heavens to look for safety among the gods and goddesses. Riem Esau followed her and when he discovered where she was hiding he threw his axe at her to kill her so that he could put an end to the chasing and get the ball for himself once and for all. To defend herself Mekala hurled her bright, beautiful and powerful crystal ball towards the flying axe. The two objects hit each other with a great clash and sparks of light streaked everywhere. That noise and light are what we know as thunder and lightning.
Riem Esau wasn’t able to take the crystal ball from Mekala and although he tried many times he was never successful. Whenever you hear thunder and see lightning you will know that he is trying once again.
            I loved dancing and I miss. Dancing was my whole life. I started so young, I knew all the dances and I wanted nothing more than to share what I knew with everyone. I haven’t danced for a long time but I know that if only I could hear the music I could dance again. I hope that one day you will be able to see unfold in gesture and movement the story that I have told to you in words.


Told by
Mrs. Sovandeth

No comments :

Post a Comment